This church traces its beginning to the “Old Primitive Baptist Church” which was the first church organized in the western part of the Sumter County. The Old Primitive Baptist Church, which was located about 4 miles west of the present Sumterville Baptist Church, was built in 1833. In 1837, a group from the Old Primitive Baptist Church paid $50.00 for an acre of land in Sumterville and built this Baptist church. It was an oblong frame structure, painted white with green shutters. The black members of the church sat in the rear and the whites in front of the pulpit. In 1860 the church reported 25 whites and 125 blacks. In 1881, the church building was renovated. The back of the church where slaves sat, before their emancipation, was removed from the building. The following year, a new pulpit and stands were added to the church. Later additions to the church include a vestibule, baptistery, and two Sunday School rooms on the rear of the building.
This church is located on the south side of Sumter Co Rd 20 in the community of Sumterville, AL in Sumter County (GPS coordinates 32.708696, -88.241775)
Source: History of the Sumterville Baptist Church, by Julia P. Killingworth.