This parish, established in 1830, is the third oldest in the Alabama diocese. This church was erected in 1840 and consecrated in 1843 by Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana, who was later a Confederate general. It was here that Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen as the first Bishop of Alabama in 1844.
This church building is a contributing property to the Greensboro Historic District that listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 904 Church Street near downtown Greensboro (GPS coordinates 32.703431, -87.596549).
Source: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church Historical Marker
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.
Note: This church is featured site #33, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that located on the southeast corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.