St. Paul’s was built circa 1838 and it originally had a Greek Revival style construction. The church was consecrated in 1844 by Bishop Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, the first Bishop of Alabama. During the late 19th century, Gothic additions were made to the church building. The original structure consisted of a simple rectangular room with a pedimented portico. The pediment was supported by four fluted Doric columns. The original entrance has now been replaced with one of Neo-Classic design. On each side there are five bays of windows. The original sashes have been replaced with new sashes in pointed Gothic frames. On each side the front windows were closed when the Gothic additions were made. A bell tower was also added to the building.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is a contributing property to the Carlowville Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). This church is located in south Dallas County in the community of Carlowville (GPS coordinates 32.084122, -87.030188).
Source: NRHP “Carlowville Historic District” Nomination Form