The first Episcopalian minister came to Evergreen in December 1870. This Episcopalian church was built circa 1880. Prior to this, the Episcopalian congregation held their services at the Union Church which was a community church that all denominations shared. St. Mary’s is Evergreen’s oldest church. It is one of only a few buildings that survived the 1881 cyclone that struck downtown Evergreen. The style of this church is Gothic Revival. It originally had two towers. By 1897, one tower had been removed.
Membership of the church declined to the point that services were discontinued during the late 1970s. Attempts have been made to revitalize the church, but none were successful. The building has been used by other denominations in recent years.
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is included on the New Evergreen Commercial Historic District that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). This church is located on Front Street just northeast of downtown Evergreen (GPS coordinates 31.436611,-86.951250).
Sources: 1) The Heritage of Conecuh County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.; 2) NRHP “New Evergreen Commercial Historic District” Registration Form.