This Gothic style church was built in 1879 by Gainesvilles’ leading late 19th-century builder, Edward N. Kring. In accordance with tradition, the building is oriented from west to east with the altar located at the east end. The main entrance to the church is through a small, bell-tower at the northwest corner. The church still has original pews, oil lamps and leaded stained glass. The stained glass includes a diamond-shaped window at the west end, representing the Eye of God, and a rose window above the altar composed of the symbol of the Trinity.
Gainesville has 85 sites that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with many that predate the Civil War. The NRHP listings include the Gainesville Historic District, the Main (Yankee) Street Historic District and seven individual sites. St. Alban’s Episcopal Church is a contributing property to the Gainesville Historic District.
This church is located beside Highway 39 at the intersection of Highway 30 and E Spruce Street in Gainesville (GPS coordinates 32.816000,-88.159528).
Source: Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.