This church was built in 1854 at the plantation community of The Fork of Greene located twelve miles southeast of Boligee. The building was consecrated by Bishop Cobbs on April 28, 1858. Twenty-five years later, it was carefully disassembled and moved by oxcart to its present location. St. Mark’s at Boligee was consecrated on December 14, 1880. The interior of the church is notable for its beautiful woodwork. St. Mark’s Episcopal Church and Cemetery were listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on March 20, 2003.
This church is located on Demoville Street in Boligee approximately 200 yards south of the intersection of Demoville Street and Highway 11 (GPS coordinates 32.753611, -88.029249).
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.