Peterman was at one time a thriving rail town, in the days of the passenger train. In 1900, the railroad came through and the store owners decided to move their buildings down the hill to be near the railroad tracks. On moving day, with teams of oxen, the 3 or 4 store buildings were moved near the tracks. Peterman became a thriving community, boasting stores, cotton gins, warehouses, drug stores, doctor and dentist offices, and a successful farm supplier/fertilizer manufacture. The depot became the center of interest in Peterman. Meeting the trains to get the daily paper from Montgomery and to see who was arriving or departing was a favorite pastime.
The old depot and some of the original buildings on Railroad Street that’s located alongside the railroad tracks are now the property of the Peterman Historical Society. Featured sites include the old Peterman Depot (built 1900), the recently restored 1880s Stanton dogtrot cabin (moved from a nearby community) and Dr. Rikard-Dentist/Post Office building. The Historic Society group sponsors an annual Peterman Station Arts & Crafts Fair which is held the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
Provided are some snapshots that were taken along Railroad Street.