This house was originally built for William Madison Purifoy near Furman, AL circa 1840. Thomas P. Melton of Pine Apple purchased the house in l937. He hired noted contractor Tom McKee to dismantle the Purifoy house and reassemble it at its present location. Each piece of lumber was marked so that the house could be rebuilt as it was originally constructed. Construction was completed in l938. The frame of this house has no nails and each piece was pegged and mortised. The house has the original doors, windows, and hand hewn heart pine flooring.
This two and a half story home features Greek Revival door surrounds on both stories, six-over-six sash windows and a double front door on the first floor with sidelights and transom. The two-story pediment porch on wooden piers has a recessed balustrade balcony on the second floor that features a single leaf front door with sidelights. Mr. and Mrs. William Norred purchased this home in 1950.
This home is a contributing property to the Pine Apple Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located beside Highway 10 approximately 0.8 mile east of downtown Pine Apple (GPS coordinates 31.862729,-86.988577)
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) NRHP “Pine Apple Historic District” Registration Form; 2) Marilyn Cook (granddaughter of Thomas P. Melton); 3) Pine Apple Promotions, Inc.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.