This is an example of an increasingly rare intact rural church. It has a highly pitched front-facing gable roof, and two sets of double doors. Local tradition states the church originated a couple miles down the road as the circa 1838 Bethlehem Methodist Church. Portions and materials of this early church were likely incorporated into the 1888 Pelham Church. The interior is original with windows along the sides, wood walls and ceilings and early pews. It also contains a pulpit and flanking lamp stands that appear to be from the late-antebellum period.
This church was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage (ARLH) on March 29, 2012. It is located on Choctaw CR 42 approximately 8 miles northwest of Pennington, AL in the community of Edna (GPS coordinates 32.279458, -88.117473).
Source: The Alabama Historical Commission PreserveALA Media Release, August 31, 2012.