Old Scotland in Monroe County was settled by families from Georgia and the Carolinas, many of whose families immigrated to this country from Scotland and Ireland. The community got its name because of the land’s resemblance to the settlers’ native country. The Old Scotland Presbyterian Church was originally made of logs. It was replaced in 1837 by the wooden frame building now standing. By the 1920s, most of the residents had moved to either Franklin or Monroeville, which forced the church to discontinue its Presbyterian services. On the fifth Sunday of summer months, descendants of the former church members meet to hold a picnic and homecoming on the church grounds. The church’s cemetery has graves of several Civil War soldiers. This church is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
The Old Scotland church is located north of Monroeville, AL on a gravel road 2-3 miles off CR 42 near the community of Tunnel Springs (GPS coordinates: 31.667714, -87.273487).
Source: Monroe County Heritage Museum Driving Tour II