This school building was built in 1936 and it provided educational opportunities for southern Choctaw County families until 2005. The Town of Silas purchased the school property in 2005 and the school building was restored. The restoration was a community-wide effort with people donating time and funds to clean and paint the building and to refinish the wooden floors. The building was reopened in 2009 as the Silas Municipal Complex. Located in the Municipal Complex are Silas Town Hall and the Silas Public Branch of The Choctaw County Library.
The school building was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage (ARLH) on June 20, 2013. It is located in Silas on the east side of Highway 17 near the intersection of Highway 17 and Indian Way Road (GPS coordinates 31.767798, -88.327098).
Sources: 1) “Silas Elementary School” Historical Marker; 2) Alabama Historical Commission PreserveALA Media Release, November 15 2013, Silas Elementary School Added To Alabama Register; 3) SilasAL.com.