The date that this building was built is not known; however, it was prior to 1919 because this was when the post office closed. According to U.S. Postal records, the community of Cohassett (or Cohasset) was also called Sowell and Almarant. Sowell post office was established in 1877 and changed to Cohassett in 1880. Almarant was established in 1880 and then closed in 1886. The mail went to Cohasset at this point. In 1887, the Almarant post office was reestablished. An 1884 and 1887 map of the county show both Sowell and Almarant at this location, but the name Cohasset was not listed. The post office at Cohassett was closed in 1919 and mail was then sent to Red Level in Covington County.
This old post office building is located east of Evergreen near the Conecuh County line. From Evergreen, travel east on Highway 84 approximately 16 miles and turn right on Long Branch Church Road which is a gravel road. Travel approximately 0.8 mile to the intersection of Long Branch Church Road and Cohasset Road. Turn onto Cohasset Road and the post office building is approximately 0.9 mile ahead on the right (GPS coordinates 31.385662, -86.681600).
Source: The Heritage of Conecuh County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.