This church is located in the community of Mt Sterling near Butler. This church was built circa 1859 and was the first local building constructed expressly as a church. This building is a fine example of once numerous, but now increasingly rare, mid-nineteenth century rural vernacular Greek Revival church architecture. It is a simple one-story, rectangular-shaped wood frame building with a gable roof. Located on the front of the building are two entrance doors.
This church never had a full-time pastor; however, its services were conducted continuously by Methodist Circuit Riders once or twice a month during certain seasons until 1976, when it closed due to steadily decreasing membership.
In 1980 the Methodist Conference deeded the building and two acres of land which includes an early 1800s cemetery, to the Choctaw County Historical Society. Extensive renovations were done by the Historical Society, including new wiring, plumbing, air-conditioning, and other improvements. A mid-19th century style addition was also built. This church building is now used for meetings and 19th-century style ceremonies and reenactments.
The Mount Sterling Methodist Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on May 8, 1986.
This church is located approximately four miles east of Butler in the community of Mt. Sterling (32.091306,-88.163722 – Google Maps).
Sources: 1) Choctaw County Historical Society; 2) NRHP “Mount Sterling Methodist Church” Nomination Form.