This historic antebellum home is one of the finest examples of neoclassical architecture in Alabama. It is located in Wilcox County near the community of Canton Bend and was built by a northerner, William T. Mathews who came to Camden by way of Haiti. Construction began in 1840 using a design by George Lynch, a local architect. It took five years to complete using both local and foreign artisans.
The home features a large veranda supported by four fluted Doric columns and a free-hanging balcony with a crowfoot balustrade. Sliding interior doors and plantation windows make it possible to convert the entire first floor into a dance floor. The basic living quarters are located upstairs. And the most distinguishing feature about the home is the full basement, the only home of this era known to have this feature.
This house was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) in 1936-1937. It is located in Wilcox County on CR 19 near the community of Canton Bend.
This is a private residence – drive by only.