This building was built circa 1895 approximately one-half mile south of its current location and served the community as a general merchandise store owned by William Fletcher Moore. The building was moved to its present location in 1904. Also during 1904, Mr. Moore helped obtain a post office for the area which consisted of two rural routes established to serve all of north central and northwestern Perry County. He was named the first Postmaster and the back portion of his store was used as the post office. After his death in 1921, his descendants continued operating both the store and post office. During the mid-1940s, the country store was closed and the building served as only the post office. Then on July 31, 1959, the post office was closed by the USPS after 55 years of service. For nearly 50 years, the building was unused, except as a storage facility. During this time, it got in bad condition. In 2008, it was refurbished, and now is being equipped as a museum for the Moore family and the Heiberger community.
The old Heiberger Post Office building is located on CR 47 approximately 0.3 mile west of the intersection of CR 47 and Highway 5 at the community of Heiberger, AL in Perry County (GPS coordinates 32.759988, -87.285681).
Sources: 1) The Perry County Historical Society; 2) “The Heiberger Post Office” historical marker (located on the front of the building).
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.