This church is located just east of Highway 5 about midway between Marion and Brent. The church is on a hill overlooking Coone’s Landing Bridge on the Cahaba River. Drivers traveling by on Highway 5 have a beautiful view of the church grounds but what they see is the back of the church and the church’s cemetery. In 1905, Reverend J. S. Terry, was appointed pastor of the Heiberger United Methodist Church. The following year, a fund raising campaign collected $953.50 for a new sanctuary and construction began on it in 1906. The church was constructed primarily by volunteer labor and its was completed around 1909.
The church sanctuary was designed to seat 200. Because the new sanctuary had no pews, 24 maple chairs were purchased and some members brought their own chairs. The sanctuary of this church has changed little since its construction. In 1998, a Fellowship Hall was added to the north side of the church.
This church is located in Perry County about 10 miles north of Marion and approximately 150 yards east of Highway 5 at the intersection of CR 47 and Onrow Rubbs Road (GPS coordinates 32.774854,-87.276571).
Sources: 1) Perry County Historical and Preservation Society; 2) The Heritage of Perry County, Alabama, prepared by The Perry County Heritage Book Committee.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.