This beautiful house was built around 1845 by a prosperous Greensboro merchant tailor named Philip Happel. This two-story home has both upper and lower verandas running the whole width of the house. It has four large, square columns running to the roof, and there are unusually decorative captions at each level. Opening onto both porches are centered double doors which lead into central hallways. In back of the downstairs hallway is a spacious dining room, behind which is a corridor enclosed in more recent times to make a breakfast room, which then leads into the kitchen. In addition to the parlor and other main rooms downstairs, there is a sun parlor that was once a side porch. Upstairs, the old side porch has been enclosed to form a bedroom/sitting room. The stairway has a beautiful mahogany rail and spindles.
This home is located at 1305 Tuscaloosa Street in Greensboro, AL (GPS coordinates 32.709996, -87.595208).
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Source: Historic Hale County, published by The Presentation Committee of the Alabama Reunion 1989.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.
Note: This house is featured site #3, The Oaks, also known as the Happel-Stickney House, on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that located on the southeast corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.