Presbyterians were among the earliest settlers of Greensboro, AL. In 1823, the first Presbyterian church was organized in Greensboro by Rev. James Hillhouse of South Carolina with Patrick Norris and William Hillhouse, veterans of the American Revolution, as founding elders. Their first church was a small wooden building completed in 1825. In 1841, a large brick church was built on the site of the present church. After only 18 years, this church was torn down and replaced with the current church. Many of the handmade bricks from the old church were used in the new building.
The current church is much the same as it was when it was built in 1859. One change is with the steeple. The church had a slender steeple tipped with a weather vane. When damaged by a storm, it was replaced with the present tower. The beautiful stained-glass windows in the church were added between 1890 and the early years of the 1900’s. In recent years, a fellowship hall and kitchen have been added at the back of the church.
This church is a contributing property to the Greensboro Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located on Main Street at the intersection of Main and Demopolis Streets in Greensboro (GPS coordinates 32.704016, -87.598086).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Greensboro Historic District” Document; 2) “Greensboro Presbyterian Church” historical marker (located in front of the church); 3) Historic Hale County, published by The Presentation Committee of the Alabama Reunion 1989.
Note: This church is featured site #30, Greensboro Presbyterian Church, on the Greensboro Historic Walking Tour. Tour brochures are available at a tourism kiosk that’s located on the SE corner of Main and Beacon Streets at downtown Greensboro.