In 1831, Colonel Moses Lewis purchased the land where Gainesville is currently located and he had the land divided into lots for a town. The new town grew very rapidly and by 1840 it had become the third largest town in the state of Alabama, with a population of over 4,000. Gainesville was a major port, shipping 6,000 bales of cotton to Mobile each year by steamboats on the Tombigbee River. The Greek Revival-style Gainesville Bank was built ca. 1845. It is one of the oldest banks in West Alabama and was even allowed to print its own currency. In 1970, the Warner Foundation, a private non-profit philanthropic organization, acquired the bank, dismantled it, and moved it to the Tuscaloosa where it was re-erected and restored as part of a complex of early Alabama buildings. The bank was later moved back to Gainesville, AL.
This old bank building is located beside State Street across the road from the Gainesville Park and Bandstand (GPS coordinates 32.823301,-88.158513).
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) National Register of Historic Places “Gainesville” MRA