Records indicate that a Conecuh County Circuit first appeared in the Methodist Conference in 1821. The early church was called “Thick Woods” and was located about one mile west of Evergreen. This church burned around 1830. The present building was constructed in 1906 at a total cost of $6010.82. The church included a sanctuary and an educational area in the rear of the church which were separated by folding doors. Since that time, there have been several additions to the church to accommodate its growth.
The sanctuary has beautiful stained glass windows which are original to the church. One of the most unusual windows is dedicated to the Jews and there is also a stained glass Star of David on the wall behind the pulpit. The church also has a majestic custom-built Moeller pipe organ which was purchased and installed in 1948. The original tower on the church was taller. Sometime prior to 1950, the tower was shortened because of the upper vents on it had been damaged. Then, in 2005, a new steeple was installed. The tapered roof on the tower is made of copper-colored metal and it is topped by a cross.
First United Methodist Church is a contributing property to the “New Evergreen Commercial Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). This church is located at downtown Evergreen, AL on the corner of Mill Street and Desplous Street (GPS coordinates 31.432167,-86.955028).
Sources: 1) History of the Evergreen First United Methodist Church (compiled to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the church); 2) NRHP “New Evergreen Commercial Historic District” Registration Form.