The Presbyterian Church was organized in 1848 at the home of Col. J. H. Davidson, The Slopes Plantation, which was located south of Uniontown. The congregation named their church Hopewell. They continued to meet at The Slopes. In 1853, the Hopewell Church combined with the Coffee Spring Cumberland Presbyterian Church, which was also organized in 1848 and was meeting in a building three miles south of Uniontown. In 1854, the combined congregation moved into their first church building which was located on Green Street. Services were held here for half a century until their current church was built on Water Avenue. The cornerstone for this church was laid in March 1914 and the first service in the new building was on October 25, 1914. This neoclassical structure features decorative brickwork, pilasters, and arches. The window in the center of the north wall of the sanctuary is from the previous church. The pulpit chairs in the church are also from the church on Green Street.
The First Presbyterian Church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District. It is located on Water Avenue at the intersection of Water Avenue and Franklin Street near downtown Uniontown (GPS coordinates 32.451816,-87.514123).
Source: History Of The First Presbyterian Church, 1848-1998, Sesquicentennial, Uniontown, Alabama, One Hundred Fiftieth Anniversary, Sunday, December 6, 1998, by Rev. Virgil Pino, Minister.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.