According to the August 5, 1866 minutes of the Uniontown Baptist Church, the Colored portion of the church requested that their White Brothers grant letters of dismissal to them and assist them with forming a separate and independent church. The request was approved. For a short time, the new African-American church congregation held their worship in the Uniontown Baptist Church building. They then moved their worship services to a public school building where the Quinn Chapel A. M. E. Church is now located. The church congregation purchased the lot where the present building is located and erected a frame building on it in 1871. This church was replaced by a brick building in the 1890s. This brick church was replaced with the present High Victorian Gothic structure. Construction began on this church in 1906 and it was completed by October 1907. On the northwest corner of this building is a three story tower with a cone shaped roof. This tower has Gothic arched vents and each façade has triple Gothic arched stained glass windows. Capped buttresses separate the windows. At the southwest corner is a smaller two story tower. There are Gothic arched transoms of stained glass over the three double leaf entrances to the church.
This church is a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District that was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on February 24, 2000. It is located at the intersection of East Street and Cahaba Road at Uniontown, AL (GPS coordinates 32.448094, -87.511499).
CLICK HERE for a street view of the church.
Source: Perry County Heritage, Volume II