The Federal Building, originally the U.S. Post Office, was completed in 1909 from plans by James Knox Taylor, Supervising Architect of the Treasury 1897-1912. In front of the building is a free-standing memorial arch which was erected at the time of the original construction to honor Selma’s two U.S. senators, John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907) and Edmund Winston Pettus (1821-1907), who both served Alabama at the same time. The Federal Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1976. It is also a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This building is located at 910 Alabama Avenue in Selma (GPS coordinates 32.407083, -87.021085).
Sources: 1) NRHP “U. S. Post Office Building (Federal Building)” Registration Form; 2) Selma’s Architecture and History Tour (A Self-Guided Driving Tour); 3) NRHP “Old Town Historic District” Registration Form.
CLICK HERE for additional historic and interesting places in rural southwest Alabama.