This is the oldest contributing property included on the Monroeville Downtown Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). This building was built in Monroeville circa 1873 as the F. Metts Store. Around 1909, it was purchased by the Barnett & Jackson Hardware Company and moved to its present site. The building is square and capped by a hip roof clad in corrugated tin. Located on its front is a porch with railing. Steps to access the building are on the north end of the porch. In the porch area, the original, centrally located, wooden, paneled doors are flanked by shallow bay windows. The building sits on round wood pilings. On the south side of the building is a wood shed with a shed roof. This old building is located in downtown Monroeville on the east side of N. Alabama Avenue Alley and behind the Monroeville City Hall building (GPS coordinates 31.527231,-87.323194).
Source: NRHP “Monroeville Downtown Historic District” Registration Form.
Photographs courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.