This two-story, Renaissance Revival building, built ca. 1889, originally housed a private school funded by the Ladies Educational Society of Selma to educate the sons and daughters of Selma’s wealthy citizens. Dallas Academy later became Selma’s first public school. Selma’s public school system is the second oldest in Alabama. The Dallas Academy school closed in the early 1960’s.
This building is a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located at 816 Selma Avenue at downtown Selma (GPS coordinates 32.407796,-87.022727).
Sources: 1) NRHP “Old Town Historic District” Document; 2) Selma’s Architecture and History Tour (A Self-Guided Driving Tour)