The Dale Masonic Lodge organized at Dale Town (later Prairie Bluff) in 1827. When the town declined in the 1840s, members voted to move the lodge to Camden. The Dale Masonic Lodge building that’s shown was built circa 1848. Union troops camped in this building while passing through Camden in 1865. In 1936, the building was photographed and recorded in the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). In 1939, it was recorded by the pioneer female photographer, Frances Benjamin Johnston, in the Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South (CSAS).
This historic building is located at the intersection of Broad Street and Clifton Street near downtown Camden, AL (GPS coordinates 31.993440, -87.291283).
Sources: 1) Wilcox Historical Society; 2) U. S. Library of Congress.
The slider at the top provides pictures of this historic building. B&W photographs courtesy of the U. S. Library of Congress (HABS), photographer: E. W. Russell, date: June 15, 1936.