The Clark Chapel United Methodist Church was founded by freed slaves in 1867, only two years after the end of the Civil War. This is one of the oldest independent black congregations in Alabama and the South. The small wood building that is shown is believed to be the original church constructed by the congregation. It still has its original pews.
This church is located at the intersection of W Spruce and State Streets in Gainesville (Google Street View).
Photographs taken October 2013.
Sources: 1) Gainesville, Alabama Tour Guide; 2) Alabama Black Belt Heritage Area Tour, publisher: ahc.stqry.app