In 1844, Episcopalians in Uniontown and Marengo County united to form Union Parish. The parish was admitted to the Diocese of Alabama on May 2, 1845. After the donation of this site in 1847, ladies of the congregation diligently worked to raise sufficient funds for the construction of the first church. Although incomplete for many years, services were first held here in January 1848 for the black and white communicants. In 1853 Union Parish divided and the Marengo County parishioners formed St. Michael’s Parish in Faunsdale. In 1863, the Holy Cross Church at Uniontown was consecrated by Bishop R.H. Wilmer. In 1900, the frame building was replaced by a brick church. Architect Edwin H. Oliver of New Orleans designed the building, reputedly inspired by a 10th-century chapel in Amiens, France. The church building is regarded as a rare example in the South of the Arts and Crafts style as expressed in religious architecture. The church follows a cruciform plan with a bellcote at the juncture of the cross gables. The lateral walls are reinforced by small buttresses, while shed and gable dormers enliven the roof line. Stained glass windows memorialize prominent parish families. The triple-arched chancel window above the altar is a Tiffany window designed by noted Selma artist Clara Weaver Parrish.
This church is a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It is located on Franklin St. in Uniontown, AL (GPS coordinates 32.451528, -87.516960).
Source: Church Of The Holy Cross Historic Marker (located beside the church)