Choctaw County was established in 1847. The current courthouse in Butler is Choctaw County’s second courthouse – built 1906 and occupied in 1907. There were additions to the courthouse in 1956 and 1965. It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage in 1997. A Military Memorial Walkway was dedicated in 1997, as part of Choctaw’s 150th birthday observances. There is a Confederate statue, located in front of the courthouse. It was made in Italy and erected in 1936 by UDC Ruffin Draqoons Chapter, but not dedicated until 1937.
The courthouse is located at downtown Butler (GPS coordinates: 32.089373, -88.221736).
Source: Historic Choctaw Tour, by Ann H. Gay.