This home was constructed in the late 1830’s or early 1840’s by either Addison Scarbrough or Edmond Hobdy. Mr. Hobdy built several homes in the area during this period. The style is “Plantation Plain” with shed rooms across the rear and a “prophets chamber” room in the right front. Much of the original glass remains in the house. All rooms feature original wainscoting and most rooms have faux graining on the doors. This home was stabilized and partial restoration accomplished by the Wilson family. Don and Katrina Bell purchased the home in 2001 and have restored it to its present condition, in addition to constructing the dependancies located on the grounds.
This home is located on the east side of CR 59 approximately 0.7 mile north of the intersection of Hwy 21 & CR 59 at Furman, AL (GPS coordinates N32.010482,W86.970016)
This is a private residence – drive by only.
Sources: 1) Details obtained from 2010 Furman History Celebration & Driving Tour Brochure published by the Furman Civic Club; 2) Pictures provided by Don Donald, The Great Southern Land Co., Inc., Camden, AL