Heritage Village at Selma is the site of several 1800’s structures that were donated to the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society by private individuals. Shown is the James M. Calhoun Law Office that’s located at Heritage Village. This is a small one-room, Greek Revival style building that was built circa 1833. It has four Doric columns and a front porch. The building was moved from Carlowville which is located in south Dallas County. Calhoun, who was born in South Carolina, was a lawyer and planter in Dallas County. His law office is a replica of the office of American statesman John C. Calhoun, his uncle. James Calhoun served as a member of both the House of Representatives and the Senate between 1831 and 1861 and served two terms as president of the Senate. The office was donated to the Historic Society by Andrew Calhoun, grandson of James Calhoun.
Also shown in the background of this photograph is the Siegel’s Servants’ Quarters. This one-story building, circa 1900, was originally located behind the main Siegel house in Selma on the northwest corner of Dallas Avenue and Union Street. The one-story building has a roof of wood shingles and foundation of brick piers. The Siegel family donated it to Heritage Village.
Heritage Village is located adjacent to the Sturdivant Hall Museum at the corner of Mabry Street and McLeod Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.412352,-87.02866).