Burnt Corn is located between Monroeville and Evergreen on the historic Old Federal Road. The settlement that became Burnt Corn is older than the state of Alabama. It began as a trading post settlement at an intersection of Indian trails when this area was still Creek Indian territory. In 1805, the U.S. Government got the Creeks to give permission for a “horse path” through their land. This “horse path” ran through the settlement of Burnt Corn. The “horse path” was widened into what is now known as the Old Federal Road which served as a major thoroughfare for western migration of settlers. Present-day Burnt Corn, which is located on the Old Federal Road near the original trading post site, is a small community that contains well-preserved historic buildings most of which were constructed during the early 1900s. Burnt Corn was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage (ARLH) in 1993.
Note: The Battle of Burnt Corn, which began the Creek War in July 1813, did not occur at Burnt Corn, but at a ford of Burnt Corn Creek located approximately 20 miles to the south, in present-day Escambia County, AL.
Source: 1) Alabama Heritage Magazine, Number 111, Winter 2014; 2) www.burntcorn.com.
The video below contains photographs that were taken at Burnt Corn.