Brooklyn Baptist Church, established in 1821, is one of the oldest churches in Conecuh County. The church was organized in a small log cabin that also served as a school. On September 4, 1860, the church purchased three acres of land for $15.00. The present church was built in 1861. There have been three building projects since this time. In 1949, Sunday school rooms and a secretary’s office were added to the church. In June 1959, additional Sunday school rooms were added. In 1960, a new pastorium was completed. The Brooklyn Baptist Church was added to the Alabama Register of Historic Landmarks and Heritage on March 24, 1983.
This church is located on CR 6 in southeast Conecuh County in the community of Brooklyn (GPS coordinates 31.264042, -86.775600).
Source: The Heritage of Conecuh County Alabama published by Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc.
Pictures courtesy of RuralSWAlabama.