Bethsaida Baptist Church was founded in 1831 at a site very close to the present building. Elder Hawthorne was the first pastor, and some of the founding families were the Albrittons, Lees, Purefoys (Purifoys), McCondichies, and Fowlers. Mr. A. Scarbrough sold property to Edward Hobdy and Dr. William Gulley, who then donated it to the Baptist Church. It was on this property that the present building was erected between 1858 and 1860. There were many “bondsmen” who worshiped in the upstairs galleries. During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, the membership of the church approached 150 members. The 2010 church roster consists of 21 members! This church is a contributing property to the Furman Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).
The church is located in Furman on CR 59 approximately 0.6 mile north of the intersection of CR 59 and Hwy 21 (32°00’32.4″N 86°58’16.1″W – Google Maps).
Source: Furman History Celebration and Driving Tour Brochure (Saturday, April 17, 2010)