Beck-Bryant-Talbot House at Canton Bend, AL (c. 1847)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

This home, known as “River Bluff House,” was built around 1847 for William King Beck, a nephew of William Rufus King, Vice-President of the United States. Beck migrated to Wilcox County around 1820 with his three brothers from North Carolina. He combined his law practice with cotton planting and achieved considerable local prominence. River Bluff House is a large Greek Revival Cottage with a recessed porch supported by octagonal columns. The columns and the “eared” architraves framing the interior window and door openings strongly link this building to Alexander Bragg as the builder. It is believed that J. D. Bryant, who owned the home in the late 1800’s, altered the roof to its present hipped roofline style.

This home was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 21, 1993.  It is located beside Highway 28 near the Canton Bend community in Wilcox County (GPs coordinates N32.045417,W87.335306).

Source: Wilcox County Historical Society

Click here to access additional historic sites in Wilcox County, Alabama.

1/16/12

Loading
Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit

Tags: , , , , ,