Advanced Search

Close Search

The Old Airport Tower & Beacon at Evergreen, AL

In 1925 the United States Congress passed the Kelly Act and created the U.S. Department of Commerce which in turn established the U.S. Air Mail.  In 1927, Civil Air Mail Route 23 (CAM-23) was established between New Orleans , LA and Atlanta , GA . In 1931, CAM-23 was modified and that action led to the construction of an emergency landing field midway between New Orleans and Atlanta . This field was located five miles west of  Evergreen , AL .  It had a rotating beacon mounted on a seventy-five (75) foot tower that initially served as a route marker for CAM-23.  In 1943-1944, the site marker for the landing field was upgraded by the U.S. Navy and became an outlying training field for the Pensacola Naval Air Station named, “Middleton Field”.  The lighted airway marking system was replaced by the Very High Frequency Omni-Range system and the beacon at Middleton Field became an airport marking beacon. This old beacon is believed to be the last remaining beacon for CAM-23 and possibly the last of the original Civil Air Mail route marker beacons remaining in the United States . It had originally been known by the airmail pilots as, “Beacon #20 on Green Airway 6″.  A request is being processed to have the tower and beacon light at Middleton Field designated as a “National Historic Site or Monument”.

This airport tower and beacon are located approximately 5 miles west of Evergreen, AL on the south side of Highway 84 (GPS coordinates N31.420861,W87.041083).

Source:  Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)

7/17/10

 

Similar Attractions

The Taliaferro House at Evergreen, AL (ca. 1883)

This home was constructed circa 1883 by Cadwallader Beale. Beale operated the Evergreen Hotel which was located on corner of West Front and Rural Sts. He sold the house to Dr. Charles T. Taliaferro, a surgeon in the WBTS (War Between the States); later practicing medicine and operated one of the first pharmacies in the […]

More Info

Lowery Store at Burnt Corn, AL

This store was built by James K. Kyser who became the Postmaster in January 1891. The Burnt Corn Post Office was located in the back left corner of the store. The upstairs of the building once served as the Burnt Corn Masonic Lodge and it was the meeting place for the Methodist from 1908 until […]

More Info

Evergreen Baptist Church at Evergreen, AL (1908)

The Evergreen Baptist Church was organized March 15, 1845.  The sanctuary of the present church was constructed in a Tudor Revival style and dedicated February 2, 1908.  The Education Building was completed in 1950, Groom Hall was dedicated in 1968 and the Activities Building was constructed in 1974. The Louise Short Widows and Orphans Home […]

More Info