Selma, which is one of Alabama’s oldest cities, takes great pride in its heritage. Markers and monuments dot the landscape and visitors holding a wide array of historical interests come to visit the old city. At Selma, you’ll find the largest historic district in Alabama – with over 1,200 historic structures which include beautiful churches, antebellum and Victorian homes, landmark sites of the nation’s Voting Rights Movement and Civil War, and even some haunted sites.
Provided are details about some of the historic sites that you will find in Selma.
Julian Smith, a businessman and surveyor in Selma, built Ashford from 1899-1903. This two-and-one-half story Neo-Classical designed house is constructed of brick with rough-cut stone. Twenty-nine white columns surround the home on the outside and seven …learn more
Built by Dr. John A. McKinnon circa 1880, this house takes its name from the Berry family who was a longtime resident. The grillwork on this house is exceptional and was made in Selma’s foundry. The pioneering female photographer, Frances Benjamin John …learn more
This small cottage sits on the edge of a bluff above the Alabama River on Water Avenue in downtown Selma. It is located next to the historic St. James Hotel. The Bridgetender’s House is a contributing property to the Water Avenue Historic District that …learn more
Brown Chapel AME Church, with its imposing twin towers and Romanesque Revival styling, was built in 1908 by black builder, A.J. Farley. This church and its congregation played a major role in the events that led to the adoption of the Voting Rights Act …learn more
This neo-classic mansion was built in 1898. This home was visited frequently by F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald (Fitzgerald authored “The Great Gatsby” among other American classics). In 1983, the third floor burned while being restored. Since then, i …learn more
Built prior to 1847, this is a two-story, Italianate home that has a full-height porch with front gable. Exterior features of the house include bay windows with a flat-cut balustrade on the first floor and second-story windows with trimmed hoods and ba …learn more
Heritage Village at Selma is the site of several 1800’s structures that were donated to the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society by private individuals. Shown is the James M. Calhoun Law Office that’s located at Heritage Village. This is a …learn more
Methodists were the first denomination to organize in Selma and the only church remaining on the original plot of ground assigned to by the Selma Land Company. In 1835, the Methodists organized with 12 members in a wooden church at the corner of Dallas …learn more
This two-story, Renaissance Revival building, built ca. 1889, originally housed a private school funded by the Ladies Educational Society of Selma to educate the sons and daughters of Selma’s wealthy citizens. Dallas Academy later became Selma’s first …learn more
Provided are pictures of the memorial to Drury Fair Jones (1856-1878) that is located in the historic Old Live Oaks Cemetery at Selma. This beautiful cemetery is located beside Dallas Avenue approximately 0.7 mile west of downtown Selma. GPS coordinate …learn more
This two-story Colonial Revival house was built around 1907. Features of the house include a one-story entry porch with fluted Ionic columns, a turret with a conical roof and a polygonal bay with hipped roof. The entrance features a door with full glaz …learn more
The Edmund Pettus Bridge spans over the Alabama River at downtown Selma, AL. It is a steel through-arch bridge that was designed by Henson K. Stephenson and erected in 1939. The bridge was named for Edmund Winston Pettus, a former Confederate Brigadier …learn more