Greensboro has its origins around 1818, about a mile to the east of its present-day location in a settlement known as Troy. Several years later, it was discovered that Troy was located on the sixteenth section of land—property set aside by the US government for schools. Thus, residents moved the prosperous community and, in 1823, incorporated as Greensborough (soon shortened to Greensboro), honoring Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene.
The town thrived during the Antebellum era, and expanded again in the 1880s and 1890s. Many of the buildings from this era are included on the National Register of Historic Places.
Provided is a collection of sites that provide examples of Greensboro’s historic architecture. This collection includes churches, small cottages, large homes, and commercial buildings that illustrate the stylistic influences of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
This beautiful two-story, home was built circa 1900. Features of the house include a complex roof line, corner tower with conical roof, central double leaf entrance, a wraparound porch with Eastlake trim, a conical roof projection and an upper level ga …learn more
Dr. Gaston Drake, a planter and local physician, purchased this property in 1849 and had a house built on it. The house was destroyed by fire before the Drake family could move into it. There was speculation that arson was probably the cause for the …learn more
This is a charming one-story Victorian cottage with Eastlake details that’s located on Greensboro’s Main Street. This house was built around 1890. Features of the house include articulated gable bays, a partial width porch with a turrett, a single leaf …learn more
There may be no home in the Black Belt with more history attached to it than this one. It was built in 1828 – 1829 by John Gayle, a South Carolina native. Prior to moving to Greensboro, Gayle lived in Monroeville, Al where he served in the territorial …learn more
Once an elegant downtown hotel, the Greensboro Hotel remains a local landmark. Impressive brickwork is its most significant feature. Brick-arched doors and windows stand out prominently. The hotel began as a two-story building with “Flemish bond” brick …learn more
The Greensboro Opera House was built in 1903 on the site of an earlier opera house. The original, built in the 1890′s, had burned the preceding year. Although it was grand in design for a small town like Greensboro, the Greensboro Opera House was typic …learn more
Presbyterians were among the earliest settlers of Greensboro, AL. In 1823, the first Presbyterian church was organized in Greensboro by Rev. James Hillhouse of South Carolina with Patrick Norris and William Hillhouse, veterans of the American Revolutio …learn more
Hale County had a legal obligation to provide an animal shelter for the county but had no resources to build it. In 2005, Hale County representatives approached Auburn’s Rural Studio and requested that they design and build this shelter. Four Rural St …learn more
Hale County was created in 1867 with most of it being taken from Greene County. Greensboro was selected as the county seat. Greensboro citizens had promised to provide a courthouse and jail free of charge if selected. To fulfill this commitment, Gre …learn more
The Hale County Jail is a three-story masonry building that was built circa 1910. Features of the building include a flat roof with a stepped gable roofline, central single leaf entrance in shallow projecting bay, decorative brick stringcourse and radi …learn more
This building is located on Main Street at downtown Greenboro near the courthouse. It dates back to the 1870s and served in the late 1800s as a law office for former Alabama governor, Thomas Seay. Alfred M. Tunstall who represented Hale County in the l …learn more
This beautiful house was built around 1845 by a prosperous Greensboro merchant tailor named Philip Happel. This two-story home has both upper and lower verandas running the whole width of the house. It has four large, square columns running to the ro …learn more