WELCOME TO EUTAW, ALALAMA
Eutaw is the county seat of Greene County and was named in honor of the Battle of Eutaw Springs, the last engagement of the American Revolutionary War in the Carolinas.
Eutaw is one of few places in the South with a large number of its original antebellum homes. Its unique location, being almost surrounded by three rivers, saved it from destruction by the Union armies during the Civil War. After burning Tuscaloosa to the ground, the Northern troops skirted Greene County and marched onward into Mississippi.
Of fifty-three remaining antebellum structures, twenty-seven have already been admitted to the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, dozens more homes built during the Victorian era survive in Eutaw.
Provided below are details about some of the historic sites that you will find in Eutaw.
This house, originally a stagecoach inn, was build in old Erie and moved to Eutaw by Dr. Abram F. Alexander who gave it to his daughter and her husband in 1848. It has four well proportioned two-story columns on the front and a second floor balcony o …learn more
The Asa White house, also known as the White-McGiffert house, was built circa 1838 by Colonel Asa White, one of Greene County’s earliest settlers. Eutaw was established on property owned by Asa White. He conveyed 20 acres to the newly established count …learn more
The Attoway R. Davis Cottage is a historic house in Eutaw, AL. The main portion of this house is a two-story I-house, built in 1817. It is the oldest surviving house in Eutaw. Directly in front of this structure is a two-room cottage, built in 1840. Th …learn more
This house was built in stages between 1899 and 1909. As the Palmer family grew, so did the house – three kitchens were built for family usage. This was the first house reportedly in Greene County to have electricity. Features of the house include beve …learn more
The Capt Edwin Reese House, also known as the Basil Hall, is a historic Greek Revival style house in Eutaw. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a raised brick foundation. Four monumental Ionic columns span the front portico. It was built f …learn more
The Coleman-Banks house, also known as the James Oliver Banks house, is the first of four antebellum homes at Eutaw, AL to have original colossal-order porticos. This house was built circa 1847 by George W. Shawver, owner of the Parapet Hotel. On the …learn more
Duncan Dew was a well-known planter and business man of Eutaw, AL. He came to Eutaw in 1822 and built this house about 1832. It is L-shaped and has elaborate interior wood trim. The house, at one time, had a two-story portico which was later exchanged …learn more
The Dr. Willis Meriwether House, also known as the Clark-Malone House, is a historic vernacular Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, AL. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a brick foundation. Six square box columns span the front portico. …learn more
This Presbyterian Church was established as a congregation in 1824, worshipping in a smaller church in old Mesopotamia, one mile to the northwest of Eutaw. In 1847 the congregation purchased the old carriage shop of Edwin Reese at Main and Wilson and s …learn more
Greene County Courthouse at Eutaw, AL (constructed ca. 1839 and rebuilt 1868-69, recorded in HABS and listed on the NRHP)
Soon after the town of Eutaw was surveyed in 1838 and laid out as the newly established seat of Greene County, John V. Crossland began construction of a two-story courthouse which was completed in 1839. This courthouse was burned in 1868 to destroy ind …learn more
Kirkwood is a historic antebellum plantation mansion located in Eutaw. It is a Greek Revival style house with Italianate influences. The house has two primary floors and a large cupola crowning the low-pitched hipped roof. The roof eaves are ornamented …learn more
This one-story wood-frame house, built in the early 1840’s, features a Creole Cottage-style architecture with later Greek Revival modifications. It is one of three similar Creole Cottage-style homes in Eutaw. A lower foundation, square piers, and an ab …learn more