Advanced Search

Close Search
Attractions | Wilcox RSS feed for this section

Matthews-Tait-Rutherford Home, “Youpon Plantation”, near Canton Bend, AL (1840-1845)

This historic antebellum home is one of the finest examples of neoclassical architecture in Alabama. It is located on CR 19 near Canton Bend a few miles west of Camden, and was built by a northerner, William T. Mathews who came to Camden by way of Haiti. Construction began in 1840 using a design by […]

More Info

Purifoy-Lipscomb House at Furman, AL (built ca. 1840, listed on the NRHP.)

This home was built around 1840 by the Purifoy family, one of the earliest to settle Wilcox County. Its style is similar to several in the Furman area, and is almost identical to that of “Fox Hill”. It was probably built by Edmond Hobdy, and remained in the Purifoy family until the Hollemans purchased it […]

More Info

Wilcox Female Institute Building at Camden, AL (1849)

The Wilcox Female Institute is a historic Greek Revival-style school building in Camden, AL. The brick structure features twin Doric columns, a second floor balcony, and a two-tiered cupola and pilastered belfry. This building was built between 1845 and 1850 and chartered as an academy for women in 1850. During the antebellum and postbellum periods, […]

More Info

Bethel Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church at Oak Hill, AL (built 1895, listed on NRHP)

The Bethel Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was established as the old Lebanon ARP Church near Hamburg in the early 1820s.  In 1856, a yellow fever epidemic struck the Hamburg community where most members of Lebanon lived. They moved to Oak Hill to get away from the lowlands. Because of the distance from Oak Hill to […]

More Info

The Gee’s Bend Quilt Mural Trail

Gee’s Bend is a small rural community located in a curve in the Alabama River in the northern part of Wilcox County, AL.  Founded in the early 1800s, it was the site of cotton plantations.  After the Civil War, the freed slaves became tenant farmers and founded an all-black community that was nearly isolated from […]

More Info

Black Belt Treasures at Camden, AL

Black Belt Treasures is a non-profit organization developed to showcase and promote the arts of the Black Belt region. Since opening its gallery in Camden, AL in 2005, Black Belt Treasures had grown from representing 75 artists to over 350 artists. Black Belt Treasures features the works of a wide range of artists – painters, […]

More Info

Purifoy-Melton-Norred Home at Pine Apple, AL (ca. 1840)

This house was originally built for William Madison Purifoy near Furman, AL circa 1840.  Thomas P. Melton of Pine Apple purchased the house in l937.  He hired noted contractor Tom McKee to dismantle the Purifoy house and reassemble it at its present location. Each piece of lumber was marked so that the house could be […]

More Info

Pugh’s Log Cabin near Pine Apple, AL

Recently restored authentic log cabin located in the community of Awin.  Not much is known about the early history of this cabin.  To get to this cabin, travel State Hwy 10 west approximately 3.5 miles from Moore Academy in Pine Apple, AL and turn left on CR 61.  Travel about 0.1 mile and the cabin is […]

More Info

Wakefield Plantation Home at Furman, AL (built in 1840s)

This beautiful antebellum home, located in the Furman community,  was built in a one-of-a-kind Steamboat Gothic style. The nearly 6,000 sq. ft. of living area consists of 12 rooms and 12 fireplaces, and unique porches on all sides. It was named “Wakefield” by the Gulley family which owned the home from its construction in the […]

More Info

Tait-Starr Home, or White Columns, located near Camden, AL (built late 1850s)

This is a nationally known Wilcox County, AL plantation home. During the 1960’s, the home was included as one of the stops on the Alabama Tourist Guide.  Throughout the years, it has been featured in numerous national magazines and books concerning the architecture or history of the antebellum Alabama Black Belt. In 1976, White Columns […]

More Info

Millers Ferry Campground at Millers Ferry, AL

Millers Ferry Campground located on the William Dannelly Reservoir at Millers Ferry, AL.  It is a beautiful park that is maintained by the US Army Corp of Engineers.  The park features an array of campsites and group picnic shelters, boat ramp, courtesy docks, playgrounds, and bank fishing.  A swimming beach is located within walking distance.  […]

More Info

Gaines Ridge at Camden, AL (built c. 1837)

Gaines Ridge was built circa 1837 by Ebenezer Hearn, a Methodist Minister in the area.  The “I” house, with its hall and parlor plan, retains the original Federal style interior woodwork.  The home was acquired in 1898 by the family of the current owner, Mrs. Betty Gaines Kennedy. The house was a family residence until […]

More Info