Advanced Search

Close Search

Woodlands Plantation Home near Gosport, AL (1840)

Woodlands, also known as the Frederick Blount Plantation, is a historic plantation house at Gosport, AL. This house, built by Frederick Spaight Blount in 1840, is one of the oldest homes in Clarke County, AL. Woodlands is a Carolina style cottage that has two full stories with side-gables. The house also features fine Greek Revival detailing, including eight fluted Doric columns supporting the front porch. The front entrance door, centered in the five bay facade, is surrounded by sidelights and surmounted by a transom light, with these flanked by pilasters and crowned with a simple entablature. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 28, 1980, due to its architectural significance.

This home is located up a short gravel driveway on the north side of Highway 84 less than a half mile west of the Clarke/Monroe County line (GPS coordinates N31.584167,W87.573333).

Source:  Wikipedia

Similar Attractions

Hoes, hand axes and various other tools.

Tommy Hart’s Indian Artifacts Museum at Carlton, AL

Tommy Hart lives in Carlton, AL which is located in the remote southern end of Clarke County near the forks of the Tombigbee and Alabama Rivers.  He is an amateur river archeologist that has spent years searching the banks of the Tombigbee River for Indian artifacts.  Tommy has discovered 34 Indian sites along the river – […]

More Info
Jackson - Dr Thomas Isham Kimbell House_1  (11)bcl-z800

Dr. Thomas Isham Kimbell House at Jackson, AL (built 1883, listed on the NRHP)

The Dr. Thomas Isham Kimbell House is a 2 1/2 story Queen Anne house with a gable on hip roof. The front facade features a projecting bay with a bay window topped with cresting. In the ell created by this bay is a shed-roofed porch which originally wrapped around the front facade and one side […]

More Info
Jackson - Agricultural College Marker_4lcYc-z800

“First District Agricultural College” Historical Marker at Jackson, AL

In 1891, nine agricultural schools, one in each congressional district, were authorized by the Alabama Legislature. One of the schools was located at Jackson on College Avenue at the location of the present day Jackson Middle School and Alabama Southern Community College (Jackson Campus). The Jackson Agricultural College opened in 1896. It became a part […]

More Info