Advanced Search

Close Search

William Perkins House at Eutaw, AL (built 1850s, listed on the NRHP)

The William Perkins House, also known as the Freemount, is a historic Greek Revival style house that was built in the 1850s by William Perkins, a wealthy merchant from Kentucky. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a raised brick foundation. Four monumental Ionic columns span the front portico. It has double parlors divided by double doors, beautiful millwork throughout, and original colored venetian glass side lights flanking the double front doors on the 1st and 2nd levels. The house was recorded by the Historic American Building Survey in 1934. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw Thematic Resource on April 2, 1982, due to its architectural significance. It is also listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. Today, this home is furnished in period antiques and accessories and used as a B & B (White Columns Manor LLC Bread & Breakfast Inn).

This beautiful antebellum home is located at 89 Spencer Street, Eutaw, AL (GPS coordinates N32.83836,W87.889225).

Sources: 1) Wikipedia; 2) Walking and Driving Guide to Historic Eutaw Alabama

Date Posted: 10/15/2012

Similar Attractions

“Probate Office” Building at Eutaw, AL (built 1856, listed on the NRHP)

The centerpiece of the Courthouse Square at Eutaw is the old Greene County Courthouse which was built in 1870. Located on the northwest corner of the Courthouse Square is the old “Probate Office”. It was originally constructed in 1856 as a single-storied structure. The second story was added in 1938. The building still has its […]

More Info

Alexander-Webb-Wilson House at Eutaw, AL (ca. 1836)

This house, originally a stagecoach inn, was build in old Erie and moved to Eutaw by Dr. Abram F. Alexander who gave it to his daughter and her husband in 1848.  It has four well proportioned two-story columns on  the front and a second floor balcony over the double front doors.  Exterior features include pilastered […]

More Info

“The Bank of Eutaw” Building at Eutaw, AL (ca. 1882, listed on the NRHP)

The Bank of Eutaw opened on Feb. 15, 1882, with B.B. Barnes as cashier. The rusticated stucco facade of imitation stone and the round arches of the windows and centered doorway look almost the same as on the bank’s opening day over 130 years ago. This building is a contributing property to the Greene County […]

More Info