Advanced Search

Close Search

Weaver House, “The Castle”, at Selma, AL (built ca. 1868, listed on the NRHP)

This house, Gothic in design, is said to be a copy of a castle on the Rhine. William Weaver, a prominent landowner and son of one of Selma’s founders, built it in 1868. Located in what was once known as Weaver’s Grove, the home’s sand bricks were made on-site in a kiln built just for that purpose.  The interior woodwork and parquet flooring are from pine, walnut and oak trees cut from the grove. The house remained in the Weaver family until 1934.

This house is a contributing property to Selma’s “Old Town Historic District” that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). It s located at 615 Lauderdale Street in Selma (GPS coordinates 32.413806,-87.024889).

Also, there have been reports that this house has resident ghosts. For details, play the YouTube video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLnAeA3CUU.

Sources:  1) Selma’s Architecture History Tour (A Self-Guided Driving Tour); 2) NRHP “Old Town Historic District” Registration Form.

Similar Attractions

Selma - Grace Hall_3 (3)_qlcc(wText)-z2c800(wTewxt)

Grace Hall at Selma, AL (built c. 1857, listed on the NRHP.)

This Italianate-style house was built circa 1857. In 1865, Wilson’s Raiders spared the house out of respect for Selma’s Mayor M. J. Williams. For many years, it was a prominent bread and breakfast where former first lady Lady Bird Johnson stayed on several occasions. The house is one of several structures in Selma that was […]

More Info
Crocheron Colunms (c. 1843)

Old Cahawba Park near Selma, AL (site of Alabama’s First Capital)

Located in Dallas County southwest of Selma where the Cahaba River flows into the Alabama River, the town initially known as Cahawba served as the state’s first capital from 1820 until 1825. When the capital was moved from Cahawba in 1826 to Tuscaloosa, many of its early residents followed. With the continuing improvement of river […]

More Info
Selma - Old Depot Museum_6 (13)lc(wText)-z800

Old Depot Museum at Selma, AL (building built ca. 1890, listed on the NRHP)

The Old Depot Museum is located at the old L&N Railroad Depot at the end of historic Water Avenue in downtown Selma. The Depot building was built on the site of the Confederate Naval Foundry which was destroyed by Federal troops during the Battle of Selma in 1865.  The red brick, stone trimmed building of Romanesque […]

More Info
%d bloggers like this: