Advanced Search

Close Search

Uniontown United Methodist Church at Uniontown, AL (built 1858)

As early as 1843, the Methodists of Uniontown had purchased a lot on Water Street and a church had been erected before the summer of 1844. This building was used until 1858 when the present two-story brick building was erected. The second or main floor rests on the low basement level thus giving the appearance of a one-story building from the front. Today, this Greek Revival-style building appears much the same on the outside as it did when it was built with the exception of the windows. The present stained glass windows were added during a 1921 renovation. The original steeple on the church was removed at some point because it was believed that its weight was causing cracks in the front walls of the church. However, a lighter weight steeple was placed back on the church in 1971. Upstairs remains much the same except the gas chandeliers were replaced with electric lights and new pews were added during the 1921 renovation. The ceiling is vaulted with beaded wood. Swinging wooden doors have replaced the swinging black leather doors that once served as entries into the sanctuary. The Uniontown United Methodist Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District.

This church is located beside highway 61 at the corner of at the intersection of Highway 61 and North Street in Uniontown (GPS coordinates N32.452784,W87.514734).

Source: Perry County Heritage, Volume II

3/20/13

Similar Attractions

Coretta Scott King’s Childhood Home & Memorial at Heiberger, AL

Coretta Scott King (1927-2006) grew up on the farm of her parents, Obadiah “Obie” Scott and Bernice McMurray Scott, in the community of Heiberger located north of Marion, AL.  The Scott family attended Mt. Tabor AME. Zion Church located next door to their home.  Today, there is an 8-foot bronze statue located in front of […]

More Info

Davis Law Office Building at Marion, AL (built ca. 1863, listed on the NRHP)

The date 1863 was found scratched into a brick on the east wall. According to local tradition, the earliest occupant was a lawyer who used the top floor as his dwelling and the bottom floor as his office. The Marion Standard newspaper was published in this building prior to 1918. In the early 1920s, it […]

More Info

Bates-Curry House at Marion, AL (built 1829 or 1830, listed on the NRHP)

This Vermont Colonial-style house was built by the Bates family in 1829 or 1830. It was originally constructed of hand-hewn logs. However, two rooms on the lower floor and two on the upper floor are now covered with weatherboards. The house has a basement where the logs can still be seen. On the rear of […]

More Info