The Turner Corn Crib is believed to have been built with logs taken from the old Turner Fort which was a fortification used to protect settlers during the Creek Indian War of 1813-1814. Fort Turner was located in west Clarke County near the community of West Bend, AL. This fortification was constructed with split pine logs doubled, and it contained two or three block houses.
The Turner Corn Crib was donated to the Clarke County Historical Museum at Grove Hill, AL in 2001. Volunteers disassembled the corn crib and numbered each log. It was re-assembled on the grounds of the Clarke County Historical Museum and a new roof was added. Today it houses farm implements and related artifacts detailing the county’s rural heritage.
The Clarke County Historical Museum is located at the intersection of Cobb Street and Jackson Street near downtown Grove Hill, AL (GPS coordinates N31.710056,W87.776972)