Advanced Search

Close Search

Trinity Episcopal Church at Demopolis, AL (1870)

Trinity Episcopal Church was founded in 1834 and is the third oldest church in the Diocese of Alabama. The congregation met in homes and a small log building until 1850 when a frame building was constructed on this lot given by the Lyon family.

Federal Troops burned the framed building during the occupation of Demopolis after the Civil War. The Nave of the present was completed in 1870 from plans drawn up by Edward S. Potter, a New York architect who also designed the chapel at West Point and other famous 19th century church buildings. The transepts were added in the 1890′s and the bell tower in 1910. Trinity is one of the finest examples of Victorian Gothic Church architecture in the United States.

This church is located at 401 North Main Avenue, Demopolis, AL (GPS coordinates N32.519694,W87.839000).

Source:  http://trinitydemopolis.dioala.org/about/history.html

Similar Attractions

C.S. Golden House at Thomaston, AL (built 1898, listed on the NRHP.)

The C.S. Golden House, also known as the Leonard and Ellie Crain House, is a Queen Anne-style home located in Thomaston, AL. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on August 31, 2000 due to its outstanding vernacular Queen Anne cottage architecture. Distinguishing features of the house include multiple roofs including […]

More Info

Lyon Hall at Demopolis, AL (completed 1853, listed on the NRHP)

Lyon Hall, also known as the Lyon-Lamar House, is a historic Greek Revival mansion in Demopolis, Alabama. It was built over a period of three years by George Gaines Lyon and his wife, Anne Glover Lyons. The house was completed in 1853. The Lyons traveled to New York City to purchase furnishings for their new […]

More Info

Buck’s Livery Stable at Thomaston, AL (built ca. 1901-1910, listed on the NRHP)

Buck’s livery stable is a one-story brick building that was built circa 1901-10 prior to the automotive age. The building has a central entry and segmental-arched windows. A row of low “feeding” windows for horses extend on the north and south sides of the building. Buck’s livery stable is a contributing property to the Thomaston […]

More Info