Advanced Search

Close Search

The Williams’ Temple CME Church at Thomasville, AL (consolidated with Booker City to form Miles College)

In 1898, the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, seeking to serve the educational needs of black students opened a school and church in Thomasville, Williams Temple CME Church. Four years later, the CME Church began construction on another facility at Booker City (now called Docena) located near Birmingham. This school was to serve the needs of black students in the north half of Alabama. In 1907, the Thomasville and Booker City schools consolidated into present day Miles College which is located at Fairfield, AL near Birmingham.

The early Thomasville campus had eight or nine buildings.  Students came from distant communities to attend school and were housed in the campus dormitory buildings. When the dorms were destroyed by fire, local folks boarded the students.  Miles College and local trustees provided supplies and salaries. Williams Temple served both as a school and church until the 1930’s.  All that remains at Thomasville today is the Williams Temple Church building which was erected in 1909. It is located on Davis Avenue near downtown Thomasville, AL (GPS coordinates N31.91023,W87.733215).

Source: Williams’ Temple CME Church Historical Marker

3/27/13

Similar Attractions

“First District Agricultural College” Historical Marker at Jackson, AL

In 1891, nine agricultural schools, one in each congressional district, were authorized by the Alabama Legislature. One of the schools was located at Jackson on College Avenue at the location of the present day Jackson Middle School and Alabama Southern Community College (Jackson Campus). The Jackson Agricultural College opened in 1896. It became a part […]

More Info

Lustron All-Steel Homes at Jackson, AL (the J. P. McKee and the Doit W. McClellan Homes)

Lustron homes are prefabricated, enameled-steel houses developed in response to the shortage of housing for GI’s returning from World War II.  They were constructed entirely of metal. These homes contain enamel-coated exterior walls and roofing, steel framing and metal-paneled interior walls and ceiling. Lustron homes included built-in features such as bookcases, vanities, china cabinets, and […]

More Info

Creagh Law Office (circa 1834) at Grove Hill, AL

This office was built circa 1834 by Judge John Gates Creagh who was an attorney, commissioner, county treasurer, judge of county orphans court and state legislator.  It was originally located on Lot 15 Court Street in Grove Hill facing the county court house.  The building was moved in the mid 1930′s to Clarke Street for […]

More Info