Advanced Search

Close Search

The White House Hotel at Evergreen, AL (ca. 1903-1910)

This hotel was constructed between 1903 & 1910. It marked the era of the beginning of automobile travel in Conecuh County and the period when tourism was significant in Evergreen.  This is the only original hotel building that remains in the downtown district.  It has served as a hotel, a boarding house and private residence.  Based on a 1909 advertisement, it was comprised of 12 rooms beside kitchen/dining facilities, screened, and within 100 yards of the central depot, reasonable terms. Today, it is privately owned and used as a boarding house.

This old motel is located near downtown on Desplouse Street (GPS coordinates N31.432417,W86.954333).

Source: Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)

8/15/10

 

Similar Attractions

evergreen-depot

The Evergreen Depot at Evergreen, AL

The historic Evergreen Depot located on the old L & N Railroad line in downtown Evergreen was constructed in 1907 and ready for occupancy by March of 1908. The depot was described as an ornament to the town, and pride for everyone, the best and most ornate outside of large cities, according to a newspaper […]

More Info
belleville-baptist

Belleville Baptist Church at Belleville, AL (ca. 1840)

This church is a two story frame building (circa 1840) with portico and external stairs leading to a slave gallery. All of the building material, lumber, brick, pews and pegs were hand made by members of the community. This Church was organized by Alexander Travis, uncle of the Alamo hero, William Barrett Travis. Alexander Travis […]

More Info
Evergreen, AL - The Evergreen Baptist Church - original2-f-587

Evergreen Baptist Church at Evergreen, AL (1908)

The Evergreen Baptist Church was organized March 15, 1845.  The sanctuary of the present church was constructed in a Tudor Revival style and dedicated February 2, 1908.  The Education Building was completed in 1950, Groom Hall was dedicated in 1968 and the Activities Building was constructed in 1974. The Louise Short Widows and Orphans Home […]

More Info
%d bloggers like this: