Advanced Search

Close Search

The Taliaferro House at Evergreen, AL (ca. 1883)

This home was constructed circa 1883 by Cadwallader Beale. Beale operated the Evergreen Hotel which was located on corner of West Front and Rural Sts. He sold the house to Dr. Charles T. Taliaferro, a surgeon in the WBTS (War Between the States); later practicing medicine and operated one of the first pharmacies in the town. Originally, the house was a 2-story Victorian structure, having a two-tiered porch and banisters on the 2nd level. In 1912, the house was remodeled to its present Neo-Classical style by architect Frank Lockwood, who designed the south wing of our State Capitol, as well as other structures on the UA Campus, Huntingdon College, Andalusia, and Evergreen. The house remains in the Taliaferro family.

Thos house is located at the corner of Belleville & Bruner Avenue in Evergreen, AL (GPS coordinates  N31.431389,W86.954750).

This ia a private residence – drive by only.

Source: Sherry Johnston (Genealogist/ Historian Evergreen-Conecuh Co. Public Library)

Similar Attractions

The Old Airport Tower & Beacon at Evergreen, AL

In 1925 the United States Congress passed the Kelly Act and created the U.S. Department of Commerce which in turn established the U.S. Air Mail.¬† In 1927, Civil Air Mail Route 23 (CAM-23) was established between New Orleans , LA and Atlanta , GA . In 1931, CAM-23 was modified and that action led to […]

More Info

Belleville Baptist Church at Belleville, AL (ca. 1840)

This church is a two story frame building (circa 1840) with portico and external stairs leading to a slave gallery. All of the building material, lumber, brick, pews and pegs were hand made by members of the community. This Church was organized by Alexander Travis, uncle of the Alamo hero, William Barrett Travis. Alexander Travis […]

More Info

Weaver Log Cabin at Evergreen, AL (ca. 1877)

This small log cabin, located in the Evergreen Municipal Park, was originally located near the community of Castleberry.¬† It is a section of a larger cabin built ca. 1877 by John Daniel Weaver, Jr. This section of the cabin originally served as the dining room. The Evergreen Municipal Park is located on the north side […]

More Info