Advanced Search

Close Search

Old Naheola Bridge at Pennington, AL

Until its closure to automobile traffic in 2000, the Naheola Bridge was one of only two bridges in the world that accommodated rail and auto traffic on the same traveling surface. Traffic lights were mounted at each end of the bridge to signal the auto traffic to stop or proceed. The lights were controlled by the drawbridge operator, who was stationed in the bridge house near the middle of the bridge. This was necessary because the bridge is only wide enough for one-way traffic, and motorists could not see from one end of it to the other because the half-mile long structure had a blind curve at one end. The lights were also necessary to warn motorists of the presence of a train or the possibility of the drawbridge being in a raised position to allow barge traffic underneath.

In 2001, the Alabama State Highway Department began construction on a new bridge immediately south of the Naheola Bridge. This bridge was completed in 2004 which allowed traffic to once again travel the length of Hwy 114 without detours. Now when motorists cross the Tombigbee River at Naheola, they will have the luxury of two-way traffic with no delays. There will certainly be more than just passing glances, though, down at the old Naheola Bridge in remembrance of it’s once unique claim to fame.

This old bridge is located beside the new concrete bridge across the Tombigbee River near Pennington, AL (GPS Coordinates N32.237667,W88.015389)

Source: Choctaw County Genealogical Society

 

 

**************************************************************************

CLICK HERE to access additional historic & interesting places in rural SW Alabama.

Similar Attractions

Bobby’s Fish Camp at Bladon Springs, AL

Bobby’s Fish Camp is located at the old Bladon Springs landing on the Tombigbee River in the southeastern part of Choctaw County. Bobby’s Fish Camp has been in operation for over half a century and is one of the oldest restaurants in southwest Alabama. Bobby E. Dahlberg built and opened the restaurant in 1956 to […]

More Info

Wilson’s Grist Mill at the Broadhead Memorial Park in Needham, AL

Wilson’s Grist Mill was the center of life in Needham for decades during the early 1900s for the people of Choctaw County. The Saturday trip to town to have corn ground into meal was more than just the task of obtaining food for the family for the next week. Walter Wilson’s mill was the social […]

More Info

Choctaw County Courthouse at Butler, AL (built 1906)

Choctaw County was established in 1847.  The current courthouse in Butler is Choctaw County’s second courthouse – built 1906, occupied in 1907. There were additions to the courthouse in 1956 & 1965.  It was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage in 1997.  A Military Memorial Walkway was dedicated in 1997, as part […]

More Info